Thursday, April 17, 2008

Dignity and Depravity

Yesterday afternoon we were on the way home from Kenny’s work and as we got off the highway there was a disheveled and worn man at the exit. This was a strange sight because we don’t see that kind of thing in these parts. He was clearly out of place, wearing fatigues and a flannel - not appropriate for the 70 degree day. His forlorn face was unseasonably tanned and his eyes were penetrating. He had a sign that he flashed all passersby. Down On Luck, it read. He limped up and down the exit’s shoulder as new traffic became accessible.

Anytime I see this sort of thing I play this fantasy in my mind where I boldly go and speak life to that person whether it be in word or gesture. But in reality I just sit there. Keep him in my periphery. And I wonder, what hand was this guy dealt that brought him right here…right now?

I was snapped out of my fantasy as two officers walked in front of our car, in front of the car to the left of me and then over to this man. They were not rough, but immediately turned him around and began patting him down. Right there - in front of the whole line of cars. The light turned green and my saddened heart went on its way home with my adorable son and my beloved husband.

For safety reasons and simple logistics, I know we are told the best way to help someone like this is to point them to resources and not necessarily give money. But even hours later when I was at home this man stuck with me. It made my heart sad. I felt so sorry for the despair and, well, the brokenness of it all.

The situation made me think about how all of humanity bears the image of the Creator. Even this man. I went back through the file cabinet in my mind trying to recall things I learned years earlier in a Counseling course in grad school. I learned things like how I am called to discern dignity and depravity. I am to spend time in my day working against the effects of the fall… wherever I am, whatever the situation, with whatever equipment I’ve been divinely assigned at the time. All of man has a mix of glory and grief, beauty and brokenness, love and lust, sinned against and being a sinner. Francis Schaeffer called us a “glorious ruin.” Isn’t that so very true? So how do I usher redemptive truth, speaking and acting words and deeds of life in a situation like this? As I think about that I am immediately reminded of the dire importance that I be equipped at all times as a redeemed image bearer. I'm put here for a purpose... to discern the difference between dignity and depravity, to speak and act redemptively, to breath life as I have been given it, in every piece of fallnesses. What a tall order. Thank God I'm not left to my own strength and devices to accomplish it. We'd most certainly all be in trouble!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

This happens to me sometimes, used to be quite a bit. I hate it, selfishly, because of the ensuing internal conflict.

I forever here the verse where Jesus says something like: he who did for the least of us, did for me.

On the other hand, I've been hustled quite a bit, like 75% of the time. To the point where I've felt threatened. But usually not by those that have signs.

A conundrum. *sigh*