Wednesday, December 31, 2008

winding down

We've had a wonderful holiday. It will culminate in our Romanian family traditional New Year's dinner tomorrow with my extended family. Our holiday began the Monday before Christmas when some special out of town visitors made their way back to the Midwest.

My brother and his wife somehow managed to escape the fierce weather in Seattle on a plane while enumerable others were stranded in the messy Northwest.




Ben loved hanging out with his uncle Michael - but it makes me sad that he can't experience that relationship consistently since miles and miles separate our busy lives. Everyday over the holiday Ben would ask if he was going to get to see his uncle that day. He also asked everyday for about 5 mornings in a row after Christmas if he was going to get to open presents that day.


His question wasn't altogether self-indulgent since we had occasion to open presents on Christmas Eve, Christmas morning and evening, and the day after Christmas. He was used to the surprises but quickly caught on that this was something special for only a few days. And having Uncle Michael and Aunt Susan in town was a quick something special too.

I am so excited for New Year's Eve tonight. We are doing the same thing we've done for the two previous years... STAYING HOME! I didn't know how much I would love doing it until we tried it a couple years ago. We make a special dinner, get a movie or plan something special at home for just us, make some (or buy some) special drinks. Last year I made this really yummy bourbon slush to go with our awesome steak dinner and movie. This year I won't be enjoying the wonderful Pinot Noir with our steak dinner like my husband will. I will instead indulge in Sparkling Blueberry Italian Soda from Trader Joe's. Don't get me wrong - its yummy but its no Pinot. There's always next year. :) I will leave you with a picture that captures the sweet temperament that is my son's.

I hope everyone had an amazing Christmas season and will usher in the New Year tonight with all happiness and joy (and safety)!

No comments: