Monday, February 22, 2010

can you hear me singing?

I'm so glad to be writing in front of a window that has sunshine pouring through instead of gloom funk. So far the 5-day forecast says its gonna be in the 40's with lots-o-shine and this, mama likey. I can't believe the difference the sun has made. I have had the energy to be productive the past few days and for that I am incredibly grateful. I even made dinner last night. So what if it was frozen leftovers from a couple of weeks ago? A meal not involving take-out is a good one these days!

In all actuality, I love cooking. I especially love cooking when there is fresh, locally grown produce involved. I really got into that kind of meal planning this past year because it tasted so much better and we had so much fun going to farmer's markets or the actual farms where the food was grown. Not only did everything taste better, but its so much healthier.

My interest in healthier living (to the point where it actually changed how I, and therefore we, lived) began about a year ago. My beautiful daughter's birthday (which we just celebrated) really is the marker for all our changes. It all started with a Jillian Michaels book and ended with me using a crystal rock for deodorant and drinking raw milk! There is oh-so much more, and I look forward to sharing my story as time goes on. But for now, I want to share an incredibly refreshing salad that I found in one of my new cookbooks. Just as an aside, I started using a lot of recipes out of a vegan cookbook, not because we don't eat meat (believe me, my boys would NEVER let that happen!), but because I realized we eat too much meat. A couple weeks ago I made a completely vegan meal for my family and everyone loved it. I also made it for friends we had over another night and they loved it too - so its unanimous!

This salad was one of the recipes I used in our completely vegan meal. I highly recommend it for a time when you are in the mood for a refreshing, salad with not-so-common vegetables. It also keeps for a couple of days - even with the dressing on it. I was a little concerned about the taste of a salad with only lemon juice squeezed on top and olive oil drizzled, but believe me, it really pulls all the flavors together and makes it taste light and refreshing. Try it and let me know what you think.

I'll give you the measurements listed in the book, but I used what I thought seemed right or to taste for us. By the way, this is from "Vegan Express" by Nava Atlas.

--4-6 ounces tender greens (baby greens, arugula, baby spinach, watercress, or a mixture - I used a baby greens mix with some extra arugula thrown in)
--1 cup green sprouts (such as sweet pea shoots or broccoli sprouts - Trader Joes has really good sweet pea shoots... I have never had them and they are so yummy in this salad)
--1 granny smith apple, diced
--1/2 medium daikon radish, sliced (this was something I never tried and I loved the flavor)
--2 large stalks celery or bok choy, sliced (I used both)
--1/2 medium cucumber, unpeeled (I used hothouse cucumber)
--olive oil or flaxseed oil (I used extra virgin olive oil)
--fresh squeezed lemon juice
--1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds (the recipe says optional, but having these in this salad gave the perfect flavor contrast to everything else going on in the salad)

Combine all ingredients, toss and serve.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So, if something with four legs poops on it, it is better? If something roams around without fences, it is better? If bugs are able to be around it unencumbered, it is better? If it comes in a recyclible container, it is better? If you pay more for less, it is better? So my antibiotic laden steak that pooped chemical laden feed it not better? If I would have eaten better for the last many years, I would be taller, thinner, see better, hear better and be less forgetful?

Amy said...

exactly!