Thursday, June 19, 2008

its days like these

Ben and I went with my grandma shopping this morning. It was a beautiful day. The sun was bright between the passing billows of clouds, and the temperature was unseasonably comfortable. As I helped my grandma in and out of the car, it struck me how different these days are than days past. I remember when she used to drive me to the malls and we would go shopping for hours. She would patiently wait for me to pick out whatever I wanted (I was and am still annoyingly indecisive). Today we couldn't walk that far because it hurts her too much. Getting in and out of the car isn't what it used to be. Its uncomfortably strange to experience the contrast of earlier days to now. Makes you think. We had great fun.

After our short trip to the mall we went back to my grandparents' home where my grandpa was merrily waiting and excitedly wobbled over to us for hugs and to wrap Ben up in his arms and play with him. I have the sweetest picture on my cell phone (I don't know how to get it off the phone onto here) of my grandpa reading to Ben who was relaxed as can be sitting on great-grandpa's lap. I knew my grandpa loved it. He ate it up.

Ben and I stuck around for lunch with them and then back home for nap (for Ben and mom). As I was going home I thought of how incredibly thankful I am for days like these where I get to hang with my 80+ something grandparents and my son, let them dote on their great grandson, let him adore them, and I drink in how sweet this time is. I truly cherish this in my heart. Its been a really good day.

No comments: