Monday, May 12, 2008

crickets chirping and other things

A couple of people I've seen and spoken with lately have asked why I haven't blogged recently. I promptly think to myself, "Well, I didn't know you were reading it to even miss it." But there are also some other reasons that are the case. I've had a hard time finding time or I haven't felt the inspiration to write about anything in particular. Also, this past week Ben has woken up early from his naps and then I never get around to posting for the rest of the day. Lastly, as cathartic as posting can be, sometimes I feel like I'm talking to myself. By the way, in case you are interested in helping me feel like I'm not talking to myself, I invite you to comment or interact. Don't be shy, you can leave anonymous comments... I'd never know who you are or where you're from.

On to other things.

I had a really nice Mother’s Day. I didn’t know if it would be the relaxing mom’s day that I hoped for since we had a lot of traveling to do, but it turned out to be really nice.

We went with my parents to their church on Mother’s Day. Afterwards we went to my mom and dad’s house for a yummy brunch. And after that, we went to Kenny's family (over an hour away). Yes - very busy, and in case you were wondering, we are rethinking how to do all the holidays.

I digress... My parents' church has such beautiful services and I love the teaching/preaching from their head pastor. As to be expected, his sermon had to do with mothers and parenting. He said so many things that resonated with my heart, but there was one in particular that stood out to me. He said, “we need to make it easy for our kids to do the right thing.”

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it for a bit. I know... its good stuff, right?

Part of training them “in the way they should go” (Proverbs 22:6) is correcting the wrong way and teaching the right. Making the right thing an easy thing to choose is the noble duty of parents. Another thing he talked about was just being present with your kids. Quality time is important, yes, but so is quantity... even though society tells us differently. How will we ever be able to impact our kids in any real way if we aren't around for much of their daily lives?

Lastly, the pastor prayed in end to his sermon and he asked God th
at He would help us to "bend our thoughts and will toward Him." I thought that was such a beautiful picture - bend my thoughts and will toward Him - not only for myself, but as a wife and for the healthy growth and nurture of my child. There is really no other way.

pictured are Ben and his good friend, Cora

No comments: