Monday, April 28, 2008

oh yes they did

I have a picture of my grandparents that was taken at their recent 60th wedding anniversary party. Sixty years... impressive, eh? I told them I wanted a picture of them together on the couch. They made a production of getting situated on the couch and without saying a word to each other, yet in perfect unison they turned their heads away from each other and this was their pose.

They are the most unique couple I know. Its sort of like southern bell meets mad Romanian. Frank Costanaza meets Julia Sugarbaker. With these two you can expect the unexpected. I’m talking all kinds of brazen, unfiltered fun. Lest you doubt, for your reading pleasure, here are a few quotables from just one evening with my dear grandparents:

(my grandpa to my grandma)

“Honey, you’re looking terrible in your old age. But I love ya.”

“When you kiss an old woman you don’t kiss her lips you kiss her wrinkles cuz it all looks alike.”

My grandpa gave me a shoulder massage. I asked if I felt tense and he responded, “It is tight but I’m used to your grandma and she’s half dead, so….”

My grandma gives it right back in all her quick-witted glory.

These are only a few of the one-liners from the evening. I wasn't quick enough to write them all down. Sometimes we laugh. Sometimes we're in shock. Thanksgiving sure is interesting.

I love these two and they brightened what would have otherwise been a very long Saturday. Thank you grandparents!


No comments: